The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous
Extract from Page 83 of "Alcoholics Anonymous (Chapter 6)"
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
- We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness,
- We will not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it,
- We will comprehend the word serenity,
- and we will know peace.
- No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
- That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
- We will lose interest in selfish things and gain insight into our fellows.
- Self-seeking will slip away.
- Our whole attitude and outlook will change.
- Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.
- We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
- We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialise if we work for them.....
Copyright © A.A. World Services, Inc. -- reproduced with permission