The Promises of All 12-Step Programmes
If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.
- We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness,
- We will not regret the past, nor wish to shut the door on it,
- We will comprehend the word serenity,
- and we will know peace.
- No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.
- That feeling of uselessness and self-pity will disappear.
- We will lose interest in selfish things and gain insight into our fellows.
- Self-seeking will slip away.
- Our whole attitude and outlook will change.
- Fear of people and economic insecurity will leave us.
- We will intuitively know how to handle situations which used to baffle us.
- We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.
Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us--sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.....
Copyright © A.A. World Services, Inc. -- reproduced with permission
Extract from Page 83 of "Alcoholics Anonymous (Chapter 6)"