Survivors of Incest Anonymous (SIA)
Survivors of Incest Anonymous (SIA) is a Twelve Step programme for adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
SIA is a spiritual, self-help group of women and men, 18 years or older, who are guided by a set of 12 Suggested Steps and 12 Traditions as borrowed from AA. The only requirement for membership is that you are a victim of child sexual abuse, and you want to recover.There are no dues or fees.
Everything that is said at SIA, in the group meeting or member to member, must be held in strict confidence. SIA meetings are not open to past or current perpetrators of child sexual abuse.
There are no professional therapists working in SIA. Survivors of Incest Anonymous is not a replacement for therapy or any other professional service when needed.
Survivor of Incest Anonymous defines incest very broadly as a sexual encounter initiated by a family member or by an extended family member that damaged the child. By "extended family" we mean an aunt, uncle, in-law, step-parent, cousin, friend of the family, teacher, coach, another child, clergy or anyone that that betrayed the child's trust.
We are not to blame, and we are not alone
Members of Survivors of Incest Anonymous learn, One Day at a Time, that they are incest survivors, rather than incest victims.
The 12 Promises of Survivors of Incest Anonymous
- We will finally know freedom, happiness and serenity.
- We will remember the past at last and walk freely away from it with our child intact.
- We will comprehend the word “safety.”
- We will know sleep without fear.
- No matter how terrible the incest, nor how devastating its effects, we will recover and become whole again.
- That feeling of hopelessness and self-condemnation will disappear.
- We will lose our sense of toxic shame and gain self-respect.
- Revulsion will slip away.
- Our perpetrators will no longer have any power over us.
- Fear of love and sexuality will leave us.
- We will intuitively know how to handle intimacy.
- We will suddenly realize that we are alive, lovely, whole, sane and safe.
Survivors of Incest Anonymous Worldwide
Refer to the Survivors of Incest Anonymous website for more information.
Counselling Plus 12 Steps Programme
Research shows that more people recover through a combination of professional therapy plus the shared experience of a 12 Step programme than by just counselling or a 12 Step programme alone.
Find Counselling Support Following Sexual Abuse